- Use of salt or chemical de-icers will damage concrete or asphalt.
- We recommend using fresh sand or kitty litter instead.
- Once the ice and snow has passed, it’s best to hose down your driveway and your vehicles of heavy salt de-icers from the roads.
- Turn off the water to all outside hose bibs at the interior shut-off valve.
- Drain remaining water to prevent it from freezing.
- Disconnect all hoses.
- Always leave the heat on in your home in the winter, even if you plan to be away for weeks at a time.
- Heat the entire home. Even that room in the far corner that no one uses.
- Replace filters in the furnace and humidifier (if applicable).
- Ensure that the condensation line is clear and draining properly.
- Clear debris from around outdoor HVAC units.
- Clean and inspect the fire box and chimney.
- Check that the screen and air intake/outakes are clear.
- Ensure sump pump is operating correctly.
- Check drainage lines for obstructions.